[Queen Anne] residents cling tenaciously to steep slopes, hunker down on the relatively flat top and boast, with few dissenters, that they command the most outstanding views in a city that prides itself on spectacular vistas.” –“Queen Anne Hill Seattle’s Miniature Mountain,” Seattle Times (Duncan 1979)”
The impact of Seattle’s streetcar lines on Queen Anne’s commercial development continues to be part of our daily lives. Even today, following the historic #24 streetcar route, the one that ran up the Counterbalance around a couple of corners and down Sixth to its terminus at W. McGraw, finds us still shopping in historic buildings all along the way. The active stores like Macrina Bakery, Top Pot Doughnuts or Molly Moon delight us still, but the abandoned ones, like the three at 1828, 1834 and 1900 6th Ave. W. at of W. Howe, draw my eye every day.
All three stores are on the east side of the wider street and were obviously built in response to the 1902 completion of the streetcar line. According to the city’s historic side sewer cards, the shop at 1828 connected to the sewer in 1909 while the one at 1834 on the southeastern corner of W. Howe tied up in 1910. The oldest of the three at 1900 6th Ave., connected in 1904 barely two years after the streetcar arrived. Oddly, we don’t learn the name of the shop owner until 1907. Unlike the great majority of the brick clad stores that survive today, these three are two-story wooden structures with at least one apartment over the shops. Fortunately, we have photographs of all three in 1937 and the early 1950s. The 1937 photos were snapped by an under-employed designer working for the Depression era Works Progress Administration. …Continue reading “Changing times, changing looks: The Wooden Stores at Sixth W. and W. Howe”→
Queen Anne residents Arne and Claire Zaslove have made significant contributions to Seattle’s cultural and theatrical vitality.
Born and raised in Cleveland and Akron, Ohio, Arne Zaslove studied at Carnegie Tech in Pittsburgh beginning in 1957, and received a Fulbright scholarship to support his theatrical studies in Paris, France 1964-66 — the first American ever to study at Ecole Jacques Lecoq.
He moved to Seattle in 1967 to begin his service on the faculty of the University of Washington School of Drama, and established the Floating Theatre Company, performing at venues throughout Seattle. He also taught at the National Theatre School of Canada 1972-74. From 1974-76, Seattle Repertory Theatre employed him as Associate Artistic Director. Arne introduced Seattle audiences to new works from emerging playwrights of the time including Max Frisch, Robert Lowell, Michael Ondaatje, and Tom Stoppard. …Continue reading “Arne & Claire Zaslove”→
Jean Burch Fallsworked with her husband Gregory Falls (1922-1997) in the origination of ACT — A Contemporary Theatre — in 1965. ACT produced notable performances in the historic Redding Building, also known as Queen Anne Hall & more recently Behnke Center and home to On the Boards, at 100 West Roy. Later ACT restored Eagles Auditorium, relocating to downtown Seattle in 1996. ACT introduced to Seattle works by such contemporary playwrights as David Mamet, Sam Shepard, and Tom Stoppard, and cultivated a community of actors and theatre workers.
Born and raised in New York City, Jean Burch graduated from Manhattan’s Brearley School in 1942 after attending boarding schools in Virginia and Lausanne, Switzerland. Despite her family’s objections, she studied drama in college, first at Bryn Mawr and then at Neighborhood Playhouse in New York. In 1943, she started to fly planes, hoping to join the WASPs – Women’s Auxiliary Service Patrol. However, the war in Europe ended before she reached the age when she could serve. After a first marriage and the birth of two sons, she began pre-med studies at the University of Vermont – while also directing and acting in community theatre. There she met and married Greg Falls, Director of the University of Vermont Drama Department, and her dramatic activities intensified.
Jean Falls and Bayne Ellis in ACT’s production of A Lion in Winter, July 1968 (courtesy ACT)
Redding Building c. 2016, the original home of ACT 1965-1996
In 1961, the University of Washington appointed Greg Falls as Executive Director of the School of Drama, and the Falls family – now including two daughters — moved to Seattle. Jean performed in A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Green Lake Aqua Theatre. After a couple of years, Jean and Greg began to look for a space to open a contemporary summer theatre, to complement the two-year-old Seattle Repertory Theatre that staged classic plays during the winter. This led to the 1965 opening of ACT at its original Queen Anne location on West Roy. Jean notes that Jim Whittaker– the first American to summit Mt. Everest and an originator of REI – had used the Redding Building as a staging area.
In 1974, Jean began to write lyrics, often in collaboration with composer Rob Duisberg. Her work has included lyrics for performances at ACT, Empty Space, and Issaquah’s Village Theatre. In 1999, she performed her final stage role in a production of Margaret Edson’s WIT at Seattle Repertory Theatre. She also travelled with the show to theatres in Houston, Phoenix, and Tucson.