The Ballard House, on 22 West Highland Drive, was built across the street from Harry Treat’s house by Martin D Ballard, founder of the Seattle Hardware Company. Completed in 1901, it was designed by deNeuf and Heide. Its bright white paint, Georgian Revival style, and colossal Ionic portico, along with its prominent site, make it one of the most striking structures on Queen Anne. It was converted into apartments in 1943, and remodeled in 1985 to form six units each averaging more than 1,200 square feet.
Read an article about the Ballard house at HistoryLink.org.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 26, 1979. Read its nomination for historical designation, which include details about its history and architecture. View photos submitted with the nomination.