The Garfield Exchange: Landmark Sold

Posted Nov.  8, 2016: The Garfield Exchange which was designated a city landmark earlier this is year has been sold by the Seattle Public Library for over $3,000,000. Located in a residential neighborhood opposite the Queen Anne Public Library, the building has phenomenal potential.

Property Reuse & Disposition Overview


Posted March 13, 2016: In these times when nearly everyone has constant wireless connection to the world by a smartphone, it is a wonder that some of us recall picking up a phone that had no dial or dial tone and hearing a ‘smiling’ voice on the other end ask, “What number, please?”

From 1883 and Seattle’s first telephones until the 1950s every phone call whether local, national or international began with talking to an operator and asking for a connection. In those days, every phone line was hard-wired to an exchange building where young women facing a long board connected incoming and outgoing phone calls manually.

PT&T switchboard 1902 (WSHS)
PT&T switchboard, 1902 (WSHS)

The earliest of Seattle’s local telephone companies included the Seattle Automatic Telephone Exchange, the Independent Telephone Company, and the Sunset Telephone-Telegraph Company (“Sunset”). Sunset was incorporated in Seattle in March 1883 providing phone service to 71 businesses and 19 residential customers with an installation charge of $25 and monthly service at $7 for businesses and $2.50 for residences. …Continue reading “The Garfield Exchange: Landmark Sold”

Children’s Hospital to Queen Anne Manor: Memories of Care become Memory Care

Hold your breath. The people and buildings in this photo tell so many great stories about Queen Anne and Seattle’s future that it practically knocks your socks off. The stories range from the role of wealthy women in creating Seattle’s civic institutions; to the importance of unions in constructing this city; and to the architects who came west to design among other buildings, places for the care of injured, sick and sometimes abandoned children.

Children's Orthopedic Hospital, 1920
Children’s Orthopedic Hospital, 1920

…Continue reading “Children’s Hospital to Queen Anne Manor: Memories of Care become Memory Care”

Alexander Hall – 315 W Bertona St

Seattle Seminary, Alexander Hall, 1893
Seattle Seminary, Alexander Hall, 1893

In 1878, Nils B. Peterson, a member of the Free Methodist Church, donated five acres of his farm’s kitchen garden for the seminary. The farm ran from to Eighth Ave. W. to First Avenue W., across 80 acres of land homesteaded by Peterson. (Forty of Peterson’s acres eventually became the Mount Pleasant Cemetery at the top of Queen Anne Hill.) The Oregon and Washington Conference of the Free Methodist Church organized the school to train and educate missionaries. Nils Peterson served as an early trustee. …Continue reading “Alexander Hall – 315 W Bertona St”