Children’s Hospital to Queen Anne Manor: Memories of Care become Memory Care

Hold your breath. The people and buildings in this photo tell so many great stories about Queen Anne and Seattle’s future that it practically knocks your socks off. The stories range from the role of wealthy women in creating Seattle’s civic institutions; to the importance of unions in constructing this city; and to the architects who came west to design among other buildings, places for the care of injured, sick and sometimes abandoned children.

Children's Orthopedic Hospital, 1920
Children’s Orthopedic Hospital, 1920

…Continue reading “Children’s Hospital to Queen Anne Manor: Memories of Care become Memory Care”

St Anne Catholic Church – 2nd Ave W & W Lee

St. Anne Catholic Church, undated
St. Anne Catholic Church, undated

The first St. Anne Church, completed in 1908, stood on the corner of Lee Street and 2nd Ave. W. The style was California Mission.

Its stucco walls did not last long in the damp. In 1926, the church was practically rebuilt. Its exterior was replaced with cedar shingles. The interior of the church was also completely redecorated. The large cross and statue of St. Anne and Mary were lit by electric lights, making them prominent Queen Anne landmarks at night.

The current St. Anne Catholic Church, located next door to the original church, was completed in 1963. The old church was torn down in the mid-1960’s. …Continue reading “St Anne Catholic Church – 2nd Ave W & W Lee”

Housing Nurses and Nuns

Children’s, 1949
Children’s Hospital, 1949

It is hard to believe that comparing two Queen Anne buildings constructed to house single women would involve European Renaissance history, the impact of the Protestant rebellion on the Catholic Church and the exploitation of women workers in American hospitals. The buildings are the 1924 Frances Skinner Edris Nursing Home at First Ave. N. and Boston St., adjacent to the original Queen Anne site of Childrens’ Orthopedic Hospital; and the exquisite 1930 Saint Anne Convent at First Ave. W. and W. Comstock.

The historic link between the two buildings can be traced to the Reformation in the 16th century and the spread of Protestantism in Europe. Before the advent of Protestantism, all the nurses in European hospitals were nuns in the Catholic Church. Where Protestants became predominant, Catholic institutions including schools, universities and hospitals were shut down or replaced. The priests, monks and nuns were served in them were dispersed. As Sister Joseph of the Sisters of Providence Order who founded the state’s first hospital made clear, unlike 16th c. Central Europe or England, there was a place in the United States for hospitals associated with the Catholic Church. By the 20th c. in the United States, the women working as nurses in Protestant-managed and secular hospitals were not unlike the nuns they had replaced, single and in need of training and housing. …Continue reading “Housing Nurses and Nuns”