“Gold!” is what the headlines read in 1897, starting the Klondike Gold Rush. Thousands, hoping to ease the woes of economic depression, sold farms, dropped businesses and boarded ships to follow their dreams north.
With two John Hay Elementary Schools on Queen Anne, there is bound to be some confusion when we talk about them. There may even be reason to say that there are three John Hay schools on Queen Anne. Surely three buildings share the name.
Architect James Stephen designed the oldest building which open for the 1905-1906 school year. The building faces west in the middle of the two-acre block bought by the school district in 1903 for $4,500. At that time, Crockett Street still ran straight through from 4th Avenue N. to Bigelow. In 1905 the district paid contractor Peter P. Gjande $23,756 to construct the eight room school that served grades one to seven. Today, the building sits south of the Crockett Street right of way and north of Newton Street between 4th Avenue N. and Bigelow Avenue N. …Continue reading “John Hay Schools – 4th Ave N and Boston St”→
Two generations of Kiehls owned and occupied the house built by H. Ambrose Kiehl at 421 West Galer Street in 1905.
Kiehl House, 1905
Kiehl House, 1909
Their lives were captured in the many photographs taken by Ambrose from 1890 to 1917 and preserved by his daughter Laura Adele Keihl over the succeeding decades. These photographs record the family life of the Kiehls and the work of Ambrose as a civil engineer employed by the U.S. Army at Fort Lawton and other Western locations. …Continue reading “H Ambrose Kiehl House – 421 W Galer St”→
This half-timbered French Gothic style home was built by W. M. Chappell after the style of his grandfather’s home in France. Chappell was one of the first men at the gold strike at Eldorado Creek in Alaska. He returned to Seattle with his stake and founded Rainier Heat & Power Company. The house was designed by Edgar Matthews and completed in 1906.