The scenic route called Queen Anne Boulevard winds around the crest of Queen Anne Hill nearly 3 ½ miles, providing grand views in all directions. Called a boulevard, the route follows various streets, including W. Highland Drive, Bigelow Avenue N. and W. Raye St.
The route includes several retaining walls, the best known being the Willcox Wall at Eighth Avenue W. and W. Highland Drive, built in 1909. Doris McClure Linkletter, whose family lived nearby on Eighth Avenue W. remembers going for walks as a child with her father up the long stairway to W. Highland Drive. She, like many youngsters before and since, marveled at the wall, which appeared to be constructed of wood, for the surface had wood grain and knot holes, yet was as hard as the concrete sidewalk. …Continue reading “Queen Anne Boulevard”
George Kinnear (Jan. 30, 1836 – July 21, 1912) was a Civil War veteran and Woodford County clerk in Illinois when he heard about the Pacific Northwest.
Enticed by firsthand and written accounts, he followed the siren’s call to travel to the Northwest in 1874 and chose Seattle as his new home. He bought a tract of land now known as the “G. Kinnear Addition,” on the southwest side of Queen Anne Hill. …Continue reading “Kinnear Park – 899 W Olympic Pl”