2201 Queen Anne Avenue North: 1933 – 1989, 56 years at Queen Anne location
At the top of Queen Anne Hill, on the corner of Queen Anne Avenue North and West Boston Street, stood a small, independent grocery beloved by many on the Hill. The owner of the store was Morris Mezistrano, a self-made man and extraordinary entrepreneur.
Morris’ story is an inspiring one. He overcame the hardships of his youth to lead a remarkable life. He was born in Gallipoli, Turkey in 1909. His father was a well-to-do businessman who owned an import-export business and a successful store. But his family lost everything when trapped in the chaos of the First World War. His father was killed, his father’s store was bombed, and their business and all their material possessions were destroyed. Earlier, his sister had moved to Seattle to enter into an arranged marriage. When Morris was nine years old, his mother and her four sons, including Morris, escaped Turkey and made their way to Seattle, sponsored by Morris’ sister. …Continue reading “Remembering Queen Anne’s Neighborhood Grocery Stores: S&M Market”→
In the first decade of the twentieth century, small neighborhood food stores – groceries, butcher stores, bakeries, and candy stores – began to appear along the busiest streets of Queen Anne. These small family businesses opened along streets where Seattle’s electric streetcars ran. Some of these streets were paved; others were dirt or wood planked.
By 1910, when the population of Seattle was approximately 240,000, there were four electric streetcar lines operating along the streets of Queen Anne. They were owned at that time by the Seattle Electric Company, a subsidiary of the Stone & Webster utility cartel.[i] Only the wealthy could afford horse-drawn carriages, and automobiles were a novelty, so most travel around Seattle was by electric streetcar. …Continue reading “Remembering Queen Anne’s Neighborhood Grocery Stores: First in a Series”→
The landmarked buildings form an integral part of what is known as the Thiry Ensemble, a complex of buildings designed by Seattle architect Paul Thiry for the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair. In addition to the Northwest Rooms and the International Fountain Pavilion, these include the KeyArena (formerly the Washington State Coliseum) and several international pavilions which no longer exist. The landmarked area also includes a surrounding corridor known as the International Plaza, with its fountains, stairways, planters, railings, and benches. However, the KeyArena has not yet (as of 2015) been designated as a City Landmark. …Continue reading “Northwest Rooms & International Fountain Pavilion”→