scatfile

Ken’s Market Queen Anne

Ken Giles grew up in the Greenwood/Phinney neighborhood in the 1930-40’s.  At the age of thirteen, Ken started working for his uncle at Erickson’s Market on 87th & Greenwood.  There began his lifelong passion for the grocery business.

Ken Giles

He attended the University of Washington, where he rowed on the Crew team, and served two years in the Navy.  He worked at several grocery stores in North Seattle, then in 1955 bought the IGA at 73rd & Greenwood, which became Ken Giles IGA.  In 1964, Ken and his partner Vic Kaloper bought the store on Queen Anne, then sold it to concentrate on other branches.

Ken’s three sons — Greg, Steve, and Scott — worked with him in the business off and on as they grew up.  In 1984, they repurchased the Ken’s Market Queen Ann store from the family Ken and Vic had sold it to.

Ken “officially” retired in 2001.  In 2007, his grandson Eric Giles, along with partners George O’Connor and Joe Vizzare, bought the Queen Anne store — where all of them had grown up working.

Reference:  Queen Anne Grocery Stores

Dick’s Drive-In Queen Anne

Dick Spady, founder of Dick’s Drive-In. (Ken Lambert/The Seattle Times)

In January 1954, Dick Spady (1923-2016) and his partners opened the first Dick’s Drive-In in Seattle’s Wallingford neighborhood, with the goal of offering a ‘classic meal’ of a burger, steak, and fries at a drive-through facility.  Next came Dick’s Drive-Ins on Broadway, on Holman Road, and in Lake City.  Dick’s Drive-Ins have become the longest continually operated fast-food restaurants in the Pacific Northwest.  In 2012 the City of Seattle issued a Mayoral Proclamation of Dick’s Drive-In Day.   Dick Spady: A Life of Vision and Values  documents his life and times.


In 1974, Dick’s Queen Anne place opened at 500 Queen Anne Avenue N. — the original site of the Motor-In Market grocery store (which opened in 1930).  It became the first and only Dick’s Drive-In location to feature indoor seating .


In 2013, Dick’s celebrated its 60th anniversary and published 60 Years of Memories, a book featuring recollections by folks of all ages.  Among Queen Anne stories:

*78-year-old Gretchen Swanson recalls “As a regular customer at Dick’s on Queen Anne, my biggest thrill was seeing Governor Gary Locke and his wife Mona Lee eating hamburgers just like the rest of us.”
*Others remember shared special moments at Dick’s before and after attending events at Seattle Center and the Coliseum/Key (soon Climate Pledge) Arena.
*Defensive superstar Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks visited the Queen Anne Dick’s on Veterans Day 2012.

The MarQueen

In 1908, five years after selling the first Model A, Ford Motor Company rolled out the Model T (known as the “Tin Lizzie“) at its Detroit facility, and the company took off as a national entity.
In 1918, the Seattle Engineering School opened, to retrain blacksmiths to work at the Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant at the south end of Lake Union (now Seattle Self Storage, 1155 Valley St.).  Noted architect John Graham Sr. designed the Plant.

The School’s facility, located on Queen Anne Avenue between Roy and Mercer Streets, operated as both a training establishment and an auto repair shop.  Originally known as the Kuay Garage (pronounced “Q-A”), it ranked as “the largest single garage in the city” in early promotions.  For more than 50 years, the garage and its “doctors of motors” serviced cars at the School facility.


The school ceased operations after a few years, and in 1926 the Vance Lumber Company acquired the building. They hired prominent architect Victor W. Voorhees to remodel it into the Marqueen Apartments.  The building had about 70 units, and featured a lobby with Alaskan marble and terrazzo floors. The eastern portion remained a repair garage until 1976, when the MarQueen Garage moved up Queen Anne Hill to its current location at 1956 Queen Anne Ave. N.

Queen Anne — Community on the Hill (1993) notes the building (renovated in 1990) as “the Marqueen Apartments.”  Since October 1998, it has operated as the MarQueen Hotel, with libations available at the Tin Lizzie Lounge.