George Bartell Sr. (1868-1956) established the nation’s oldest drugstore chain, originating in Seattle in 1890. In 1900, he and his second wife Beatrice Shaffer Bartell (1879-1969) became the first residents of the house at 1517 11th Avenue West – constructed by the father of the bride, Fisk Shaffer (in partnership with Joseph A. Moncrieff) of Montana. Shaffer Moncrieff, Building Contractors also constructed the adjacent multi-unit residential project at 1511 11th Avenue West.
George Henry Bartell Jr. (1916-2009) arrived two days after his parent’s 11th wedding anniversary. He and his older sister Amy Ellen (1906-1998) grew up in the house now known as “the Bartell Mansion.” They both attended West Queen Anne Elementary School and Queen Anne High School.
About 1920, Bartell Sr. and Beatrice divorced, and he moved out of the Queen Anne home and later remarried.
George Jr. took over management of the Bartell Drug Company in 1935.
In 1995 Bartell Drugs also opened Seattle’s first modern 24-hour drugstore at 600 1st Avenue North in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood now known as Uptown.
More recently, architect John Hoffman bought the home and undertook extensive renovations to the home and its hillside site, residing there with his family for 20+ years. In 2012, physicians Jutta von Stieglitz & Burkhard Mackensen purchased and moved into the home.
Reference: The Seattle Times 3/14/2021: “Commercial visionaries meet for a towering talk in 1909“
Source: George Henry Bartell (1868-1956), historylink.org