We are delighted to share this heartwarming article about our beloved boulevard written by Cindy Hughes — a longtime member of the Queen Anne Historical Society who works for Historic Seattle.
May 23, 2020
An unidentified gentleman stands at the corner of 6th Avenue W. and W. Crockett Street, while an unidentified boy looks on from the entrance to the Crockett Street Pharmacy in this ca. 1910 image. The commercial and residential building, constructed in 1906, is the location of Targy’s Tavern (founded 1937) today.
In today’s image, mural paintings are featured in the pandemic-shuttered tavern’s exterior window niches (long since filled in). Several Seattle businesses that were forced to close during COVID-19 quarantine have boarded their windows with mural paintings to brighten our streets and lift our spirits during this challenging time.
May 19, 2020
Patients at the Children’s Orthopedic Hospital on Queen Anne celebrated their annual Circus Day on May 19, 1925. The Seattle Daily Times reported that all the thrills of a circus under the big tent were furnished the kiddies at the big brick hospital on Queen Anne Hill. A patient named Anna is pictured meeting the trained Shetland pony “Brownie” and one of the many clowns at the event.
Children’s Orthopedic Hospital — now Seattle Children’s Hospital — was founded in 1907. After operating out of temporary locations, it moved to a 40-bed facility in Queen Anne in 1911, where it remained until moving to its current Laurelhurst location in 1954. The 1911 building is still stands on Crockett Street and houses the Queen Anne Manor assisted living facility.
Image source: The Seattle Times