The Chelsea Apartments on West Olympic Place were built in 1907 to house visiting families. Then called the “Chelsea Hotel”, it’s charms were widely advertised. One ad, running under the “Room and Board” classification a few years after the Exposition said:
Seattle’s Scenic Hotel Facing Kinnear Park. 10 minutes from business center. High-grade family home; large rooms, magnificent view, excellent neighborhood, roof garden, large lobby, private telephone in all rooms. Single rooms and suites with private bath… Take Kinnear car.
The rates started at $1.00 a day, or $2.00 and up with meals. The convenient and pleasant location, and the amenities such as the view, the lobby, the roof garden and telephones reflected the qualities mentioned in advertisements for nearby apartments.
The owner, Charles R. Collins, lived at the Chelsea with his wife and three children. It was designed by Harlan Thomas, who designed the Sorrento Hotel, a family hotel on First Hill, and the Amalfi Apartments on Queen Anne Avenue. It is an eclectic mix of English, Renaissance and Italianate styles, with an unusual narrow courtyard with stairs leading to the second floor.
The Chelsea served as a hotel until 1917 when all the units became apartments. It now has 58 apartment units, averaging 529 square feet.
Read an article about the Chelsea Apartments at HistoryLink.org.
Read about the building at the City of Seattle Historic Sites Survey.
The apartment building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 14, 1978. Read it’s nomination for historical designation, which include details about its history and architecture.