On January 27, 2021, the Seattle Fire Department quickly extinguished a fire in a unit at the historic landmark Villa Costella on W Olympic Place.
According to a member of the Queen Anne Historical Society who works in the building:
The owner of a condo on the 2nd floor was cooking on his deck with a deep fryer. He saw the oil was getting too hot and went to turn off the flame from the propane tank. He got the flame turned off, but at that same moment the oil burst into a flame ball and ignited the wall.”
The unit suffered serious smoke damage, and neighboring units also had smoke damage. It ought to be possible to restore the building to its original grandeur.