The Queen Anne Historical Society was founded in 1971 by the History Committee of the Queen Anne Community Council under the leadership of Louise Locke. The organization incorporated as non-profit and adopted the Kinnear Mansion as the society’s logo. For over two decades [as of 1993] the society has worked in many areas to advance its mission of preservation of the community’s historic heritage. The society maintains a community history archive and holds bimonthly meetings which feature programs emphasizing community and Washington history.
Highlights of the Queen Anne Historical Society
Achievements with the Names of Leaders
1990 *C. H. Black House & Gardens, 615 W. Lee St.
1989 Published reprint of Homes & Gardens of the Pacific Coast, Seattle, 1913 — Michael, Ethel & James Kemp-Slaughter
1987 Sponsored first annual Christmas lighting contest focused on historic Queen Anne Blvd.
1986 Dedication of Captain Vancouver plaque at Betty Bowen Viewpoint and celebration — Michael Kemp-Slaughter
1986 *Bethany Presbyterian Church, 1818 Queen Anne Ave. N.
1985 *Queen Anne High School, 215 Galer St.
1984 *Stuart/Balcom House, 619 W. Comstock St.
1984 *Bowen/Huston Bungalow 715 W. Prospect St.
1983 Society Newsletter founded: “Great Queen Anners” list of historic community leaders compiled for the state “Great Washingtonians” project — Kathryn Seymour
1981 Queen Anne Oral History Project — Ron Palmer
1980 *Brace/Moriarty House, 618 W. Highland Dr.
1980 *McFee/Klockzien House, 524 W. Highland Dr.
1979 *Ballard/Howe House, 22 W. Highland Dr.
1977 *West Queen Anne Elementary School, 515 W. Galer St.