Designed by Charles Bebb and Louis Mendel, the Treat House is one of Seattle’s largest and has both architectural and historic significance. The original owner, Harry Whitney Treat, came to Seattle around 1903 arriving, it is rumored, as the richest man in town. He was heavily involved in local business activities and real estate. His developments in North Seattle include Loyal Heights (named for his daughter), Sunset Hill, and much of Blue Ridge. Treat built this 64-room house as his in-city retreat, at the tremendous 1905 cost of $101,000. …Continue reading “Harry W Treat House – 1 W Highland Dr”
This home was designed for the lumberman and Seattle civic leader Albert S. Kerry, Sr. (1866-1939) by the Bebb and Mendel architectural firm. The house, in altered form, stands on the southeast corner of Highland Drive and 5th Avenue West. …Continue reading “Albert S Kerry House – 421 W Highland Dr”
Built in 1892, Decatur Terrace, David and Louisa Boren Denny’s mansion at 512 Temperance Street was the epitome of the Queen Anne style. The corner turret, multiple gables in a variety of shapes and sizes, along with the fancy spindles and posts of three covered porches are marks of the style.