Born in Ontario, Oregon, the daughter of George Lewis Penrose (1915-87) and Elinore Sterrett Shields (1913-93), Jean Penrose grew up on their small farm in Tigard, Oregon.
After high-school graduation in 1957, Jean spent a memorable year with her family in Tehran, Iran. She also lived on a kibbutz in Israel as part of the International Farm Youth Exchange (IFYE) Program.
With her 1962 Bachelor’s degree in Home Economics from Oregon State University, she went to Colorado to teach high-school HomeEc. Her sense of adventure took her to Juneau, Alaska in 1965 where she taught at Juneau-Douglas High School. …Continue reading “Jean Louise Penrose Sundborg”→
Long-time Queen Anne resident Alice Rooney has made major contributions to Seattle-area arts and culture, as administrator of Allied Arts of Seattle and of Pilchuck Glass School.
A graduate of Ballard High School (1943) and the University of Washington, Alice began her career in New York City, where she spent three years working for Mutual Broadcasting (a radio network) as a writer of radio commercials and newsletters. She returned to Seattle to take a job with Wallace V. MacKay Advertising Co., located in Seattle’s Globe Building, and in 1950 began part-time employment as Executive Secretary with the American Institute of Architects Seattle Chapter — a MacKay client. At AIA she worked with activist architects including Fred Bassetti, Ibsen Nelsen, and Victor Steinbrueck. …Continue reading “Alice Rooney, Arts Advocate”→
Designed by Charles Bebb and Louis Mendel, is one of Seattle’s largest and has both architectural and historic significance. The original owner, Harry Whitney Treat, came to Seattle around 1903 arriving, it is rumored, as the richest man in town. He was heavily involved in local business activities and real estate. His developments in North Seattle include Loyal Heights (named for his daughter), Sunset Hill and much of Blue Ridge. Treat built this 64-room house as his in-city retreat, at the tremendous 1905 cost of $101,000. …Continue reading “Harry W Treat House – 1 W Highland Dr”→