Queen Anne Park is a relatively unknown neighborhood located above Seattle Pacific University at the northwest end of Queen Anne Hill. Queen Anne Park’s curving streets, fantastic views and generally modest-sized 1920’s homes tell an exciting story of real estate development as the Roaring Twenties drew to a close and just before the Great Depression. While not a park in the usual sense of the word, it is park-like in its beauty with winding streets and numerous charming Tudor, Spanish and Colonial revival homes. For years, it has been enshrouded by an aura of mystery and rumor. The Queen Anne Park Addition to the City of Seattle dates to 1926, and is bordered by West Bertona, West Barrett, Seventh Avenue West, and 11th Avenue West. Only homes located inside the boundary formed by those streets are considered to be in Queen Anne Park. …Continue reading “Queen Anne Park: The Story of a Neighborhood”
Designed by Charles Bebb and Louis Mendel, the Treat House is one of Seattle’s largest and has both architectural and historic significance. The original owner, Harry Whitney Treat, came to Seattle around 1903 arriving, it is rumored, as the richest man in town. He was heavily involved in local business activities and real estate. His developments in North Seattle include Loyal Heights (named for his daughter), Sunset Hill, and much of Blue Ridge. Treat built this 64-room house as his in-city retreat, at the tremendous 1905 cost of $101,000. …Continue reading “Harry W Treat House – 1 W Highland Dr”
The Kiehl Family
Two generations of Kiehls owned and occupied the house built by H. Ambrose Kiehl (1865-1942) at 421 West Galer Street in 1905.
Their lives were captured in the many photographs taken by Ambrose from 1890 to 1917 and preserved by his daughter Laura Adele Keihl over the succeeding decades. These photographs record the family life of the Kiehls and the work of Ambrose as a civil engineer employed by the U.S. Army at Fort Lawton and other Western locations. …Continue reading “H Ambrose Kiehl House – 421 W Galer St”