Taking up the northeast corner of Warren and Ward Streets, the home was built for James A. and Vera Gibbs, who moved in around 1931. Mr. Gibbs was President of Gibbs & Hudson Inc. Securities at the time, having previously been employed as President of Enterprise Securities. They moved into the home from another Queen Anne location farther back on the hill, but still on Warren Avenue North (2445). They remained there at least through 1939. …Continue reading “James A Gibbs House – 1000 Warren Ave N”→
This Dutch colonial house with stucco exterior and slate roof was built in 1905 from plans by W. Marbury Sommervell. The house has a fireplace in every bedroom, a gymnasium on the third floor, a huge library, a tile floored conservatory, and a large sunroom. The beautiful grounds originally included Parsons Memorial Garden on the west and a rose garden on the east side. The house was designated a Seattle landmark in 1979. …Continue reading “Reginald Parsons House – 618 W Highland Dr”→
George Kinnear (Jan. 30, 1836 – July 21, 1912) was a Civil War veteran and Woodford County clerk in Illinois when he heard about the Pacific Northwest.
Enticed by firsthand and written accounts, he followed the siren’s call to travel to the Northwest in 1874 and chose Seattle as his new home. He bought a tract of land now known as the “G. Kinnear Addition,” on the southwest side of Queen Anne Hill. …Continue reading “Kinnear Park – 899 W Olympic Pl”→