One of the most common Colonial Revival subtypes is the Georgian Revival. The Georgian style was originally popular in the 18th century and was used frequently in early New England settlements. The structures evolved significantly from the elaborate, detailed façades of the 1900s and 1910s to the modest, simplified houses that were built for new, large-scale residential developments from the 1920s to the 1950s.
Although the Georgian Revival structures employed many of the details of their earlier Colonial predecessors, they did not closely follow the rules of Georgian architecture. Classical details were either over-exaggerated or updated for the 20thcentury, and the strict Georgian symmetry and order was usually broken. Georgian architecture typically consisted of a two-story façade with five window and door openings on both the first and second stories of the main façade.
Deette McAuslan Smith (1892-1979) built the imposing brick residence on the south slope of Queen Anne Hill in 1926. She was the widow of contractor Grant Smith (d. 1923) who built the Olympic Hotel and the White-Henry-Stuart Building. He died four months after their marriage in 1923. Mrs. Smith grew up on Queen Anne Hill and wanted a home for herself, her mother, her older sister, and for two children whom she planned to adopt (but never did). Her late husband’s firm handled construction.
The English Georgian style brick building was designed by Abraham H. Albertson (1872-1964), who had worked on the White-Henry-Stuart Building and other downtown projects. The home is on three levels, and has a large garden on the south side. A large ballroom opens onto the garden level. The home features a library, living room, dining room, a large nursery, four bedrooms, and staff quarters. …Continue reading “Stuart-Balcom House – 619 W Comstock St”→
With two John Hay Elementary Schools on Queen Anne, there is bound to be some confusion when we talk about them. There may even be reason to say that there are three John Hay schools on Queen Anne. Surely three buildings share the name.
Architect James Stephen designed the oldest building which open for the 1905-1906 school year. The building faces west in the middle of the two-acre block bought by the school district in 1903 for $4,500. At that time, Crockett Street still ran straight through from 4th Avenue N. to Bigelow. In 1905 the district paid contractor Peter P. Gjande $23,756 to construct the eight-room school that served grades one to seven. Today, the building sits south of the Crockett Street right of way and north of Newton Street between 4th Avenue N. and Bigelow Avenue N. …Continue reading “John Hay Schools – 4th Ave N & Boston St”→
The Ballard House, on 22 West Highland Drive, was built across the street from Harry Treat‘s house by Martin D. Ballard, founder of the Seattle Hardware Company. Completed in 1901, it was designed by deNeuf and Heide. Its bright white paint, Georgian Revival style, and colossal Ionic portico, along with its prominent site, make it one of the most striking structures on Queen Anne. It was converted into apartments in 1943, and remodeled in 1985 to form six units each averaging more than 1,200 square feet.