J C Black House – 222 West Highland Drive

Black House, 1940
Black House, 1940

Built in 1914 on the northeast corner of Highland Drive and 3rd Avenue West, the J. C. Black House was built in a neighborhood of Queen Anne, Arts and Crafts, and Colonial Revival homes. The house’s architect, Andrew Willatsen, practiced in the office of Frank Lloyd Wright before relocating to the Pacific Northwest in 1907. Although Willatsen’s work, the Black House embodied many of the characteristic architectural elements seen in Wright’s Prairie School residences. Located directly across from Kerry Park on the hill’s south slope, this home also carried strong influences of the Prairie Style, including the deep, overhanging eaves and the ribbon of windows along the front of the second story. …Continue reading “J C Black House – 222 West Highland Drive”