In 1918, the Seattle Engineering School opened, to retrain blacksmiths to work at the Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant at the south end of Lake Union (now Seattle Self Storage, 1155 Valley St.). Noted architect John Graham Sr. designed the Plant.
The school ceased operations after a few years, and in 1926 the Vance Lumber Company acquired the building. They hired prominent architect Victor W. Voorhees to remodel it into the Marqueen Apartments. The building had about 70 units, and featured a lobby with Alaskan marble and terrazzo floors. The eastern portion remained a repair garage until 1976, when the MarQueen Garage moved up Queen Anne Hill to its current location at 1956 Queen Anne Ave. N.
Queen Anne — Community on the Hill (1993) notes the building (renovated in 1990) as “the Marqueen Apartments.” Since October 1998, it has operated as the MarQueen Hotel, with libations available at the Tin Lizzie Lounge.