May 19, 2020
Patients at the Children’s Orthopedic Hospital on Queen Anne celebrated their annual Circus Day on May 19, 1925. The Seattle Daily Times reported that all the thrills of a circus under the big tent were furnished the kiddies at the big brick hospital on Queen Anne Hill. A patient named Anna is pictured meeting the trained Shetland pony “Brownie” and one of the many clowns at the event.
Children’s Orthopedic Hospital — now Seattle Children’s Hospital — was founded in 1907. After operating out of temporary locations, it moved to a 40-bed facility in Queen Anne in 1911, where it remained until moving to its current Laurelhurst location in 1954. The 1911 building is still stands on Crockett Street and houses the Queen Anne Manor assisted living facility.
Image source: The Seattle Times