In this June 26, 1936 image, a worker sits atop a 140-foot-high steel arch during construction of the North Queen Anne Drive Bridge. The bridge was built to replace an aging wooden trestle bridge that previously spanned Wolf Creek Canyon. The new bridge provided a connection to the Aurora Bridge, visible in the background, which had been completed in 1932. The North Queen Anne Bridge was one of many WPA infrastructure improvement projects that put Americans to work during the Great Depression. Completed after just eight months of construction, the two-hinged steel arch bridge was the first of its kind built in Washington. Ordinance No. 110343, signed by Mayor Charles Royer on January 3, 1982, made it a designated city landmark.
Image courtesy of the Seattle Municipal Archives, #10594