People inspect the remains of the Wheeler Street Bridge in this July 1, 1924 image. The bridge was one of a network of trestles constructed between 1911 and 1920 over the railroad tracks in lowlands of Interbay, between Queen Anne and Magnolia. A spark from a train passing below ignited the timber trestle of the Lawton Way Bridge near its intersection with the Wheeler Street Bridge. A northwest wind carried the flames to the Wheeler Street crossing, completely damaging both bridges beyond repair. Along with bridges at Garfield and Dravus streets, the Wheeler Street Bridge was one of the three primary crossings between Queen Anne and Magnolia. Neither of the damaged bridges was replaced after the fire; but the Garfield Street Bridge was replaced in 1930 by the structure commonly known as the Magnolia Bridge.
Image courtesy of Seattle Municipal Archives, #28652